Artistic Director & Dancer
After training at De Montfort University Leicester, Helen graduated with a BA (Hons) in Contemporary Dance. She returned to Cornwall to initially become the Dance Animateur and administrator for Dance Agency Cornwall (now The Works).
After leaving her post to become a freelance dance practitioner and to run Cscape with Sally Williams, some of Helen’s recent commissioned work includes:
- Handel’s Semele for Duchy Opera Assistant Director and choreographer for touring production 2008
- Bowchaser commissioned choreography of 6 Thundercat Speed boats with Emily Dobson and Antony Waller, commissioned by Weymouth City Council 08
- Churched Up Rep for Cscape as part of the Below Tour 08
- Imagineers, site specific choreography for 14 professional and graduate dancers with Sally Williams at Cornish Mines and Engines Cornwall 08
- Fifteen Cornwall , Various site specific commissions for specific parties/events choreographed with Sally Williams 07/08
- Wave Armada commissioned choreography of 8 Rib boats and 400 young people for National Youth Sailing Regatta and Plymouth City Council with Emily Dobson 07
- Landings Artistic director and choreographer of large scale site specific event at Trebah Gardens to commemorate D Day Landings anniversary 05
- Polperro (Going Under) Site Specific dance piece for Polperro Harbour with Sally Williams 04
- Boz Looan (Selling the Wind) Devising alongside TC Howard for site specific performance 03
Recent choreography/Movement direction for theatre and film includes:
- Journey to the Centre of the Earth! dir Craig Johnson Kneehigh Theatre 07
- A Government Inspector dir Bill Scott Miracle Theatre 07
- Laughing Gas dir Simon Harvey o-region 06
- Shorty Backways Brothers Short film by Small Axe dir Mark Jenkin 06
- De Sul winner of the Govynn Kernewek Cornwall Film Festival 06
- Nights at the Circus Kneehigh Theatre/Lyric Theatre shadowed dir Emma Rice 06
- Antigone at Hell’s Mouth by Nick Darke for the National Youth Theatre, dir Mike Shepherd 05
Helen set up and co-directs Cscape with Sally Williams, she has led the company through many projects and productions. Helen takes on all aspects of the running of the company including tour booking, writing funding applications, contracts and financial management with support from The Works.
She has performed in all of Cscape’s productions including The Blonde Tour by T.C. Howard, Stephen Kirkham, Simon Birch, Guilty Fingers by Fleur Darkin, Emma Rice, Anna Maria Murphy and Debbie Fionn Bar and Below (where she performs in her own choreography) and the other pieces by Sally Williams and TC Howard. Helen also worked closely with Sally on the development of the piece Enjoy Your Stay and is a performer in the final festival and touring work.
Helen worked with Jacky Lansley Dance Theatre, performing in View from the Shore at the Hall for Cornwall and ROH Clore Studio, and Motionhouse Dance Theatre on Road to the Beach
Helen works extensively in the education sector, and has taught and project managed numerous education projects within a vast array of sectors. Helen has worked with young mums, young farmers, the elderly, pre school, primary school, taught GCSE and A Level Dance as well as BTEC and National Diploma students. Helen is a specialist in creating large-scale whole school productions with a site-specific twist. Helen choreographs for St Austell College performing arts dept to create full length works for their Final Major performance element of the course creating 3 full length works (Have you seen my marbles? Kettle Boys and Captains written by Rod Tinsen (Radio 4) and The Dog and Trumpet). Last year Helen took over the Artistic Directorship of Cornwall Youth Dance Company.
Whilst co-Directing Cscape with Sally, Helen has now returned to The Works and is currently in post as one half of the Dance Officer for Cornwall. Helen is passionate about creating a vibrant dance ecology in the Southwest and ensuring that Cscape can thrive in its rural environment.